Published my book, had a book launch, got a big dog (Josie- golden lab) began my teaching career at Fanshawe College, got a hatchback.
2) Did you keep last years New Year’s resolution and will you make any this year?
Last year this is what I wrote:
I think for 2015 I want to publish Ava’s book and maintain the joy.
As for resolutions this year, I have decided to keep it simple. Matt and I are horrible at taking time for us. We went on a total of 3 dates in the entirety of last year. Yes, 3. And one of which was an overnight for a wedding and I was horridly ill with an infection at the time. Pretty slack-ass of us. So this year we both have vowed for monthly date nights. To get a sitter and make it happen.
3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes and many, many upcoming in 2016!
4) Did anyone close to you die?
Charlie, our beloved beagle passed away.
5) What countries did you visit?
The United States and Canada (home) this year. Same as last year.
6) What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Control over Lillian’s Reactive Airway. We have had periods of control but not enough. To have us get through 2016 with no emergency room trips for her, that would be a blessing.
7) What dates will be etched upon your memory?
February 8th 2015: Ava’s 4th Birthday. We went for brunch with friends and I spent the afternoon in the kitchen cooking food for a friend that was just released from hospital. Her birthdays are always ever on my mind.
8) What was your biggest accomplishment this year?First and foremost, being Lillian’s Mama for another year. Advocating hard for her health and well being, a warrior Mama, her safe place and a cornerstone of her world.
I published the book this year, began teaching at FC and took a part time job as an advocate. The balance of work and Lillian has been a dance this year, and one that I consider a huge accomplishment.
9) What was your biggest failure this year?
Same as the last three years, some things are not for blogging.
10) Did you suffer any illness’ or injuries?
Many, many virus’ with Lillian but thankfully nothing major.
There were a lot of big ticket items this year. With my returning to work part time and Matthew’s car accident in early 2015 (that prompted the purchase of the Rio) we had both the availability and the need. The deck and the car are probably tied. I love my itty-bitty car (even if Matt says it makes him feel like a giant) and the deck has added such a huge quality of life in how we use our home.
12) Whose behavior merited celebration?
I took a lot of risks this year, I stood out of my comfort zone a lot and changed for the better in many ways. This year was mine in more ways than I can think of. A new career path, new friends, to putting our story out there, 2015 was my year of change.
13) Whose behavior made you appalled or depressed?
The continuation of terror and hatred in our world. As I stated last year, I believe love will prevail.
14) Where did most your money go?
The deck, the driveway and the car.
15) What did you get really excited about?
16) What song will remind you of 2015?
Alan Doyle’s Let’s Go album
17) Compared to this time last year are you?
Happier or Sadder?: Happier
Thinner or Fatter?: Exact same
Richer or Poorer? : Richer
Damn. That is pretty good!
These were last two years answers and I do not need to change them, again.
18) What do you wish you had done more of?
I wish I wasn’t so busy. So, so busy. I wish I had not worked quite so hard and then means I was not enjoying life as much. This year I need less work, less busy, more enjoyment.
19) What do you wish you had done less of?
I wish I had just done less. Three jobs plus a kid is a lot. Less of it all and more quiet.
20) How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve was at my parents with my family. Christmas Day was at home where we let Lillian enjoy her toys. I made a turkey and we watched movies and snuggled.
21) Did you fall in love in 2014?
Yes! With Josie and again and again and again with Lillian and Matthew.
22) What was your favorite TV program?
Brooklyn 99, House of Lies
23) Do you hate anyone that you did not hate this time last year?
Same answer as the last three years. I do not hate anyone. I do not believe in it.
24) What was the best book you read?
The books of our year this year were Chatbooks. Chatbooks are fantastic! They take your IG photos and turn them into 6×6 photobooks. I began ordering them last year and we love them. Lillian adores being able look at her the family pictures and it is so seamless. I take all photos and post them on IG, and chatbooks simply notifies me when the next book is complete, and I order it. 6 dollars per book and we now LOOK at our family photos all the time. Completely worth it.
25) What was your favorite music discovery?
I rediscovered Alan Doyle this year, his new album Let’s Go was fantastic.
26) What did you want and get?
A steady part time job, a group of caring, compassionate and lovely coworkers and another year with Matthew and Lillian.
27) What did you want and not get?
28) What was your favorite film of the year?
The Martian (I know. But it was so good!)
29) What did you do on your birthday and what age were you?
We don’t really celebrate my birthday post Ava. Matt got me a bottle of champagne and we ordered in Thai food. Good enough.
30) What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
True management of Lillian’s reactive airway.
31) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Same as last year, tunics, skinny jeans and scarves. And whatever was on sale and actually fits.
32) What kept you sane?
Matthew. Matthew is my anchor. My confidant, my best friend, my soft place. Always. He was steadfast in managing Lillian’s illness’. He advocated for me to rest and take care of myself, let me vent and trusted my instincts, teaching me to do the same.33) Which celebrity did you fancy most?
Still Kate Middleton – 4 years running.
34) What political issue stirred you the most this year?
The Canadian election
35) Who do you miss?
And Keleen. I cherish our friendship and wish she wasn’t so far.
36) Who is the best new person you know?
MR isn’t a new person but I have gotten to know her much better this year. M married our good friend J and I have relished getting to know her this year. M is simply one of the finest women I have know, with integrity and a heart the size of the world. She opens her heart and her home graciously and is one of those people that makes those around her better. I am a better person for knowing and loving her and I am very excited for 2016 with her.
37) Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2015:
This year I learned the lesson, twice, to trust who someone is when they show you the first time. Twice this year I was hurt by someone I knew had hurt me in the past and I let it happen again. When someone shows you who they are, believe them and unlike me, do not forget it.
Watching the sand fall
Gets you nothing
Like the hands on the clock wall
Oh I love it when you’re standing up so tall
And all you are is all aglowHere we are in our own space
And I believe in
Every bright smile that I’ve faced
‘Cause I’m feeling the same way
Turn it on and off we goWe’ll run till we fall
And the closing bell’s calling
We’re only here for so long
We lead and we follow
Tonight till tomorrow
We go and we go till we’re gone
So Lets Go
The long road’s behind us
And we made it
To this bright night that finds us
What has long been denied us
Could be ours to know
And I can see you moving
Let me hear it
When you whisper I’m losing
And I can feel it
When your heart beats the truth
And it’s the only thing I know